Ricotta & Spinach Egg Muffins with a Quinoa Crust

Easy breakfast alert!

spinach ricotta egg cups with quinoa crust

What qualifies as a hassle-free breakfast? To me, it’s one where no greater than five minutes are spent prepping, cooking, and eating in the morning. These ricotta and spinach egg muffins meet that criteria, and they do it with way more nutrition than some sugary cereal! If you don’t have five minutes to eat breakfast in the morning, then you are failing a little at life–let’s be real. It’s only five minutes. Go to bed a few minutes earlier if you don’t want to lose any precious sleep, but don’t say you don’t have time; it’ll make the nearest dietitian to you roll their eyes in frustration. Your body will appreciate a proper morning meal, and repay you with more energy and focus until you eat your morning snack or lunch. Simply pop two egg muffins into the microwave, grab a piece of fruit like a banana or an apple, and your healthy breakfast is complete.

I’ve found that everything is easier to eat when it’s in the shape of a muffin. Have you ever tried to eat scrambled eggs on the go? Not possible. Scrambled eggs that are packaged in the shape of a muffin are ready to snatch up and eat. These egg muffins are soft, fluffy, and filled with ricotta cheese, spinach, and onion. Plus, there is a crunchy quinoa crust on the bottom, which will make you feel like you are eating a mini quiche. Simply take 30 minutes to prepare this recipe on the weekend, and you’ll have almost a full weeks worth of breakfasts ready to go. You can keep them in the freezer, and then thaw in the fridge the night before, so they are ready for a quick reheat in the morning.

Runner food alert: Two eggs cups and a large banana make the perfect post workout 3:1 carbs:protein recovery breakfast–15 grams of protein and 46 grams of carbs.

Go make these today, and enjoy your quick and easy breakfast tomorrow!

9 Responses to Ricotta & Spinach Egg Muffins with a Quinoa Crust

1. Sean M says:

This looks pretty good. I think we’ll try it this weekend! But I might need to heat it up with a little chili powder!

• Ryan Baggett MA, RD says:

Yes! I though about adding some cayenne to my next batch to kick it up a notch too!

• Sean M says:

Nice! There are some great ingredients you can add to this. I had already started searching for muffin pan eggs when you posted this but I like the quinoa element.

• Ryan Baggett MA, RD says:

I feel like black beans, jalapeno, and shredded cheddar would be a good alternate! Then you could top it with some salsa and sliced avocado.

2. Layla says:

This looks sooooo good! Can’t wait to try it this weekend!

3. Sean M says:

Ok, I’ve tried this twice now with disastrous results. The first time I used the bare muffin pan but I sprayed each cell with Pam. They still stuck so badly they were wasted.

Two days ago I used cupcake inserts and it was even worse!

I’m not sure what to do to get them to come out of the muffin pan in ONE piece! Ideas?

• Ryan Baggett MA, RD says:

I would recommend spraying the liners (maybe getting some slick or waxy liners instead of paper, to avoid sogginess), and then let them cool a little bit before trying to peel them away from the liner. I usually leave them all in the liners, and then peel the liner off right before I reheat them for my breakfast and have had good success. There will always be a few quinoa pieces that get stuck, but it shouldn’t be the whole bottom. The exact same thing happened to my first batch when I didn’t use a liner too!

4. Erika says:

Is the quinoa cooked or raw when you bake it?